By 1890, the city was home to nine physicians, twelve attorneys, eleven general stores, fourteen grocery stores, three drug stores, three hardware stores, six butcher shops, two hatmakers, two hotels, a shoe store, and seven saloons.A mule-drawn trolley system was established in 1886, and the city had electricity by 1895.During this period, Cleveland's population more than doubled from 1,812 in 1880 to 3,643 in 1900.
Cleveland adult dating no sign up
Cleveland is the fourteenth largest city in Tennessee In 1819, the Cherokee Agency— the official liaison between the U. government and the Cherokee Nation— was moved to the Hiwassee area, a few miles north of what is now Cleveland. The legislative act that created Bradley County in 1836 authorized the establishment of a county seat, which was to be named "Cleveland" after Colonel Benjamin Cleveland, a commander at the Battle of Kings Mountain during the American Revolution.
The commissioners chose "Taylor's Place," the home of Andrew Taylor, as the location for the county seat, due largely to the site's excellent water sources.
By 1838, Cleveland already had a population of 400, and was home to two churches (one Presbyterian, the other Methodist), and a school, the Oak Grove Academy.
The city was incorporated on February 4, 1842, and elections for mayor and aldermen were held shortly afterward.
Cleveland grew rapidly following the arrival of the railroad in the 1850s.
While bitterly divided over the issue of secession on the eve of the Civil War, Cleveland, like Bradley County and most of East Tennessee, voted against Tennessee's Ordinance of Secession in June 1861.The railroad bridge over the Hiwassee River to the north was among those destroyed by the East Tennessee bridge-burning conspiracy in November 1861.Cleveland was occupied by the Confederate Army from 1861 to 1863.During the 1870s, Cleveland experienced a growth spurt.The city's most iconic building, Craigmiles Hall, was constructed in 1878 as an opera house and meeting hall.Numerous factories were also established, including the Hardwick Stove Company in 1879, the Cleveland Woolen Mills in 1880, and the Cleveland Chair Company in 1884.