The station was criticized for "a harshness almost unequaled in contemporary architecture" as well as for cost overruns and many functional failings, including the lack of shelter for the track platforms.
The railroad at that time consisted of two tracks and passed through town on ground level (crossing the streets at grade).
In the mid-1890s two more tracks were added to the line and most crossings were elevated and bridged, so the 1867 depot, was razed and replaced.
In 1987, the New York Times published a review of the then-new Stamford Transportation Center by architecture critic Paul Goldberger.
United Airlines codeshares with Amtrak to provide service out of Stamford station to the train station at United's Northeast hub, Newark Liberty International Airport.
As such, the train station has the IATA Airport Code (as an IATA-indexed train station) ZTF.
Downtown Stamford is directly north of the station.
Regular daily train service began in Stamford on January 1, 1849.
or the Stamford Transportation Center, is a major railroad station in the city of Stamford, Connecticut, serving passengers traveling on Metro-North Railroad's New Haven Line, Amtrak's Northeast Corridor, and Shore Line East.
The station is 33 miles (53 km) from Grand Central Terminal.